Gray received an awesome Christmas present this year that I wanted to share with you all! Our dear friend Brandi is not just a talented photographer…she is also super crafty, creative, and generous. She made this amazing toddler “busy book” for our very busy 16-month old.
Brandi used three rings, felt (a soft felt on the front and stiff felt on the back of each page), and various crafty materials (beads, ribbon, buttons, etc.) to make this awesome book. Everything is hand-stitched; nothing is glued. I love that! Each page has some sort of interactive activity geared toward G’s interests and skills.
Trains, planes, cars, and boats to slide up and down a string
Geometric matching with storage pocket
Zipper practice with pockets
Buttons and threading
She also included a couple pages of family photos of people both near and far. G loves looking at these and pointing out faces.
I love that, should the crafty urge ever strike me, I could add more pages to this if I wanted. G loves it already and I know he will continue to grow into it as his fine motor skills develop. It will be great for the car or any other time when I need him to sit quietly.
I just wanted to share this in time for the holiday season because I think it would be a great gift for any little ones in your life! Thank you, Brandi, for such a thoughtful and useful gift!
Per the ubiquitous Facebook tag. A chance to talk about myself? Twist my arm…
- I enjoy a lot of things that I am not particularly good at doing. This includes, but is not limited to, cooking, skiing, and wrapping presents.
- Speaking of presents, I hate the obligatory giving and receiving of them, but I absolutely love when I find something that is perfect for someone and a meaningful gift is born organically.
- I keep an old-fashioned paper checkbook, address book, to do list, and desk calendar…in addition to tracking it all online or on my computer.
- I am obsessed with sparkling water. It is what has enabled me to go 2+ years without diet soda. It’s the bubbles.
- I do not feel fully “ready” unless my hair has been curled. This has been true since I was about five years old.
- I don’t get a chance to exercise it very often, but I consider myself a pretty good negotiator. I file this under “things my father taught me.”
- I am not especially intelligent but I was a good student and tested well. I put this down to my skill of being able to fake a lot of things even when I have no idea what is going on. I file this under “things my mother taught me.”
- I am the child survivor of a messy divorce and will move Heaven and Earth to never go through something like that again.
- I love conversing with people about the things which they are most passionate and knowledgeable. I file this under “things I want to teach my children.”
- I have the World’s Most Unattractive Feet.