Dear Baby Boy,
Little Man, thanks for showing us your goods during the ultrasound, but I should tell you right now that flashing people like that is pretty frowned upon once you exit this private little suite.
I can hear you already. “Mom! I can’t believe you posted a picture of my penis on the internet!” Sorry kiddo. I have to post it because BOY was that a surprise! Everyone was so sure you were a girl! Already I love that you are surprising us and keeping us on our toes. I thought you were a boy at the beginning and I should have trusted myself. I can’t believe I let everyone else change my belief. That is the first thing you have taught me without even knowing it. Or maybe you do. I bet you are wise like that.
Some people, people who don’t know Mommy very well, thought I might be disappointed to find out you are a boy. How silly is that?! First of all, you seem to have all your working parts, which in itself, makes me so very, very happy and grateful. But more than that, there are so many reasons why I am beyond ecstatic that you are a boy!
- I always wanted a big brother. Your aunties are great big sisters to me, but I am excited that if we decide to give you a brother or sister, they will get to have YOU as their wonderful, responsible, protective big bro.
- Between you and me, Kid, I don’t think I want any more. I think YOU are going to make me and Daddy so unbelievably happy that we will realize we couldn’t possibly do as well a second time around. If that’s the case, I feel an old-fashioned relief that you’re a boy so your daddy and granddad will be happy that someone is carrying on their last name (but we are an egalitarian household so we don’t buy into that silliness. I just like to humor them).
- If you are anything like your daddy, this world will be a better place. I wouldn’t have married your daddy if I didn’t hope one day to have a son just like him. I can’t wait to see you two together. Thinking about it melts my heart to pieces already.
- This family already has plenty of estrogen. In our house alone, we have two crazy little pups that are “my girls.” You and Daddy will now always be “my boys.” I love that.
- Not many people know this about Mommy, but I prefer the company of men to the company of women. You boys are just so fun and easy to be around. You are never to repeat this, but girls can sometimes be a pain in the ass. I would know.
- I can’t say exactly how, but I think YOU are going to make me a better mommy, and a better person. I think you are going to teach me things from your little boy perspective that I have never even thought of, and I am so excited to learn from you. And yeah, I hope I can teach you a few things, too.
There is one thing, Baby Boy, one thing that worries me. One day, one day in about 18 years, you’re going to leave us. You’re going to grow up and meet a girl who will probably think I’m crazy and overbearing (and in defense of daughter-in-laws everywhere, she will probably be right). I hope you will remember to call us and visit us. I hope you will remember how much we love and adore you. You will. I know you will.
You have so many people waiting to meet you and love on you. For now, you’ve got a big job to do in the next 20 weeks: grow, grow, grow! We will be ready and waiting when you decide to make your big appearance.
I love you so much already,